Talk about vintage Christmas lights

Visit our Affiliated Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Visit Maria Cudequest's Collectibles and Local History Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource.
Click to visit Fred's Noel-Kat store.

Sorry about disappearing on you. Most of our web pages were hacked
Between October and November, 2022. Some more successfully than others.
Unfortunately it took us a while to fix the problem. Thanks for your patience!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paramount Tree-toppers
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:09 am 
Site Admin

A reader writes:

Hi! I have a question/comment. I followed a Google link describing a Christmas ornament I have, but the information on that particular ornament appears to no longer be on your site.

I'm writing on the off chance that you know something about this ornament. It's called the Paramount Tree-Top Star and it's a white or off-white plastic star with a red line around it. On the bottom is space for an old-fashioned tree bulb (I think; it was described as a Mazda bulb on a box I saw online), but since my mother passed it along to me I've been using it by pushing a few of the new little bulbs inside to make the star glow.

Now my brother wants one like it. I finally found one on eBay and found a bunch of others now that I know the brand is Paramount. I ended up accidentally buying two because I figured I'd get outbid on at least one of them! :)

My question is about the model numbers. The two I ended up buying are models 725 and 735. One is in a red box and one is in a green box. At least one is 5.5 inches (the other one didn't have the size). I also saw models 720 and 740, and I think they may have been 7.5 inches and 9.5 inches.

Do you know anything about the model numbers and the differences between them? Size is an obvious one, and I don't know if there are any others.

---------------

Do any readers know these decorations? I found a #735 on Etsy just now.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/207990487/ ... MgodNWMAPQ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:09 pm 

Hello Laurie,
Those Stars date to 1949 and were manufactured by the Raylite Electric
Company for Paramount. The numbers refer to base thread size more than
actual star size. 725 is a miniature base thread, 735 is candelabra
base thread, both of these used the same size star body and were meant
to thread into existing strings of lights. The 740 star is the same as
the 735 but included a socket and wire to plug into a set of lights.
740 is a much larger version, 9.5 inches with a medium base socket and
wire to plug into lights or an extension for bigger trees and outdoor use.

Fred