Talk about vintage Christmas lights

Visit our Affiliated Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Visit Maria Cudequest's Collectibles and Local History Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource.
Click to visit Fred's Noel-Kat store.

Sorry about disappearing on you. Most of our web pages were hacked
Between October and November, 2022. Some more successfully than others.
Unfortunately it took us a while to fix the problem. Thanks for your patience!

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:52 pm 

The 1938 Miniature Base Series Glolite Mazda Candle is often referred to as the predecessor to the NOMA bubble light.

Attachments:
gloliteboxsm.jpg
gloliteboxsm.jpg [ 141.21 KiB | Viewed 25903 times ]
glolitecandleopensm.jpg
glolitecandleopensm.jpg [ 136.56 KiB | Viewed 25903 times ]
glolitecandlesonsm.jpg
glolitecandlesonsm.jpg [ 145.47 KiB | Viewed 25903 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Sure are pretty. :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:05 pm 

These are really neat. We used to have some that were from the Matchless Company. In fact we referred to them as Matchless Candles. They were not very easy to come by, so if you saw some you had better buy them. On the candles we had the name Matchless was on the brass collar. So the question would be did one company get parts from the other, or did they both get parts from the same supplier? At any rate it is great to see an original boxed set.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:09 am 

Thanks Gary, it's one of my favorites. That's a really good question. All the USA made ones that I have seen had the "Matchless" stamped thread collar as you say and all the Canadian ones have "Mazda (MIC)" on the thread collar, MIC being Made in Canada. The bulb assembly is just like a Matchless Star, with the base being sandwiched together between the thread collar and the glass envelope which leads me to believe the unit was probably assembled by the Matchless Co. in the USA. I know GE Canada used the (MIC) stamp on thread collars during the 1930s on most of their Mazda Lamps so it could be GE that assembled these here in Canada. Not sure of who assembled all the parts. There were some differences in parts between USA and Canadian made ones too which makes it tough to determine. Yellow was a color only available in Canada and if I recall right, all USA made ones had painted glass candles and the Canadian had cellophane wrapped ones. Otherwise, I think the bases and metal candle holder are pretty much the same?

Last edited by Noel-kat on Mon May 05, 2014 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:13 pm 

Actually, now that I think of it, I believe I have seen U.S.A. made ones with cellophane wrapping and of course the glass candle was made by Glolite so perhaps the metal portion that held the candle to the base was also made by Glolite. Gary, were your candles painted or did they have the cellophane wrap?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:39 pm 

Hi, you know I have been thinking about it since the other night, I remembered that yes, mine did have the cellophane wrap. I got to thinking about how frustrating it was to keep the wrap in place. The previous owner of some of them put a small piece of tape, or maybe they came that way, on the candle to keep it from unwinding This was back in the 80"s and I am not sure what I did to solve the problem. It will probably come back to me sometime. Makes me wish that I had taken better closeup pictures.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:16 pm 

Hi Gary, the cellophane wrap was cut sorta diamond shape so when it wrapped around the candle, one edge overlapped the other by just a little creating a darker single spiral around the candle. I think originally the cellophane had some adhesive to it but overtime it lets go. Yes, it is frustrating when it lets go, I have had to do a very small piece of scotch tape on a few. You have pictures of yours?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:40 pm 

Hey Fred, I was just checking vintage Christmas lights on ebay and discovered that someone has a set of the Glolite candles for sale. These are a style that I have never seen before though. They do not have the light in them, instead they have clips that snap over the light socket itself. Puts me in mine of the snap on bubble lights, which was a terrific idea. Thought you might be interested in checking them out. It will be interesting to see how high they go. Makes me wish my buget was a little bit higher!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:59 pm 

Hi Gary, those came out in 38 along with the lamped ones. They turn up far less than the lamped ones so I suspect they were made in lesser numbers. They should sell for an easy 400 I would think, what do you figure?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:47 pm 

Hi Fred, to be honest I really couldn't put a price on them , not being that familiar with that type. I just checked my ebay page and they are still at $108. I took a real close up look at the box, it is a little battered and rough looking, but I would say it can be restored almost completely. The liner has some staining, which happens a lot. The light string can be completely disassembled and repaired. Lamps are easy enough to find. Having said all that, I would think that $400 would be a good price considering that with about two or three weeks of evening work for a couple of hours and it would be a VERY nice set to have on the display shelf.